Students Fall Ill After Accidentally Ingesting Edible Marijuana

Students Fall Ill After Accidentally Ingesting Edible Marijuana 

Share this Post:

At a time when officials are looking into marijuana safety for kids and the need for labeling edibles, an incident in Rhode Island has given these matters an unwarranted sense of urgency.

Two students at The Prout School in South Kingstown, Rhode Island suddenly fell ill after allegedly ingesting edible marijuana while at school. One of the students was rushed to the South County hospital for treatment.

Investigators seized a portion of the suspected edible pot and sent it to the Rhode Island Health Department for testing. According to the police, they still have no leads on who might have given the students marijuana, so no criminal charges have been filed just yet.

According to a statement released by The Prout School head David Estes, the school is working closely with the police to investigate the incident.

“The Prout School continues to investigate an incident where several students became ill upon eating a food item that was brought in by a student or students from outside the school,” the statement said. “The Prout School immediately contacted authorities and took steps to ensure that all students were safe. The school administration is working closely with authorities, students, and families and will take necessary disciplinary action if it is warranted upon completion of the investigation.”

The detectives are also planning to interview Prout administrators, parents, and students for further investigation.

How can schools avoid accidental edible marijuana ingestion? Voice your opinions in the comments section below – your opinion matters to the nation.

Share this Post:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read more:
102215_Trick or Treating This Halloween Steer Clear of Marijuana Edibles
Trick-or-Treating This Halloween? Steer Clear of Marijuana Edibles

It may have been an established Halloween tradition, but the Nebraska Regional Poison Center has issued a warning to everyone...